Membership Policies & Dues
Policy Statement: Membership and Dues
Adopted January 13, 2017
Last Revised February 7, 2017
Purpose. This policy statement governs the criteria for membership in the Mississippi Association of Grantmakers, the classification of eligible members for purposes of assessing dues, the general basis for assessment of dues, the levels of dues to be assessed, and other policies relative to membership and the collection of dues by the Association.
General Members. Membership in the Mississippi Association of Grantmakers is open to all organizations whose principal function is the making of grants for charitable purposes, and who make such grants in whole or in part to organizations within or serving the State of Mississippi, including:
- Private Foundations (including independent, family and corporate foundations)
- Community Foundations (including affiliated funds)
- Corporate or Business Giving Programs
- United Ways and other re-granting organizations operating on a local, regional or state level (including hospital, university, other intermediaries)
- Operating foundations and other organizations making philanthropic grants
Basis for Dues. Dues for general members are to be based on the total grants made by each organization (not on assets of the organization).
- Total giving, for the purpose of calculating dues, will be based on the average of an organization’s total giving for the past three fiscal years.
- Total giving will not include simple pass-through funds, e.g., disaster funding, or non-endowed donor-advised funds, field of interest funds, agency funds, etc.
- Total giving for community foundations includes grants made through all endowed funds, including donor-advised funds, field of interest funds, agency funds, etc.
- For out-of-state foundations, total giving is determined based on grants made to organizations within and/or serving the state of Mississippi
- Total giving will be self-reported by members and may be based on completed tax returns, annual financial statements, or other acceptable financial reports
- For operating foundations and other organizations making philanthropic grants for whom giving levels may not be an appropriate measure from which to assess dues, the Association will negotiate a dues level that may be based on assets or other independent factors
Dues and Levels of Dues. Beginning April 1, 2017, annual dues for regular members of the Mississippi Association of Grantmakers will be assessed as follows:
|$2,500,000 and up||$1,500|
|$1,000,000 to $2,499,999||$1,200|
|$750,000 to $999,999||$900|
|$500,000 to $749,000||$750|
|$250,000 to $499,999||$600|
|$100,000 to $249,999||$450|
For operating foundations and others for whom giving levels may not be an appropriate measure from which to assess dues, MAG may negotiate an appropriate dues level directly with the member organization, or use total asset levels according to the following schedule:
|Total Asset Level||Dues|
|$25,000,000 and up||$1,500|
|$10,000,000 to $24,999,999||$1,200|
|$5,000,000 to $9,999,999||$900|
|$2,500,000 to $4,999,000||$750|
|$1,000,000 to $2,499,999||$600|
|$500,000 to $999,999||$450|
Associate Members. Associate membership in the Mississippi Association of Grantmakers is open to the following agencies or organizations:
- Governmental or quasi-governmental organizations and other public funders whose re-granting is done on a competitive basis to multiple nonprofit organizations
- Community foundation affiliate organizations or funds (generally geographically focused funds actively affiliated with a community foundation)
- At the invitation and with the approval of the MAG Board of Directors, other organizations and agencies, including nonprofits, that serve the philanthropic and/or nonprofit sectors
Dues for Associate Members. Beginning April 1, 2017, annual dues for Associate Members of the Mississippi Association of Grantmakers are to be assessed as follows:
|Community Foundation affiliates||$250|
|Others invited by MAG Board||$350|
Date on Which Dues are Payable. Annual dues are due on or before April 1, 2017. For members joining after April 1, 2017, annual dues in the first year of membership may be pro-rated based on the number of months between when the new member joins and the annual dues payable date of April 1.